Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My confirmation retreat

The other day, I went to a confirmation retreat in a school about half an hour away from where I live. It started at about 3:30 though I had to be there about an hour before so my sisters could help set up. I wasn't allowed because I was going to be one of the participants this time. That doesn't happen all that often these days. Usually, I've spent lots of time with other people months before so we can plan every little thing so I was used to be in on everything. Ah well, a little change. That's always good!

So anyway, I was told to go into a little empty classroom until 3:30 so I wouldn't hear what they were planning or see any of the prep taking place. An hour later... there were other people in the little room, waiting like me for something to happen. Finally, (I'm exaggerating a little, it wasn't boring cause I had lots of cool people to talk to.) the planners (about five to ten people) came in and ushered us into a chapel down the hall and had us sit and listen to a Priest welcome us tell us a little about why we were there. The reason was that we were going to be confirmed and that confirmation, like baptism, was a joining of Christ's Church only it was a re-affirming of our decision to be a Catholic Christian. This makes much sense if one takes a second to think about it.

After that talk of about fifteen minutes, we had a five minute break because the other talk was going to be longer. Then, after being ushered back into the Chapel, a Franciscan Priest gave a talk about what confirmation really is, in the sense of the sacraments. Why do I need to be confirmed? Well, my parents baptised me when I was a little baby but what about now? What is my decision? If my answer is yes, then the Holy Spirit sweeps through me, preparing me to do the work the Lord Wills for me. Similar to the Decent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles in the upper room. In this sense, confirmation is going further than enabling me to go to Heaven, making me the Lord's vessel for evangelizing. Simply, becoming a bearer of responsibilities in the Church. An adult.

Next, we prayed a decade of the rosary; I think it was the third Glorious Mystery which is very appropriate as that is the Decent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles.

After that we went to the little class room and watched two minute-long videos representing Baptism and Confirmation. They were really very entertaining...

Next some of the 'planners' came in with little headbands on with little pieces of paper shaped like flames that read either a fruit or gift of the Holy Spirit, describing them in their context. Each planer got a group of two to three kids and asked them a few questions about what they would do with this gift or fruit of the Holy Spirit in their lives. After we'd discussed them in the little groups, the 'planners' read the gifts and fruits aloud. Then one of my friends got up and talked about her experiences of being 'slain in the spirit', one of which I was in back of her to catch her. (That was at Mount Saint Mary's 2009 in Maryland for a retreat that took place in the seminary and adjoining college.)

I'll write more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment