Friday, October 2, 2009

New experiences

So how much guts does it take to stand or sit in front of a bunch of second-graders for a CCD class that lasts around an hour? For me, a lot.

At the beginning of the summer, I went to the pastor of my parish to ask for parish funds so I could attend a retreat in Kansas City, Missouri called "National Catholic Youth Conference" or NCYC. Naturally, though to me unexpected, Fr. Justin - the pastor - asks me "Well, what does the parish get? If the parish is paying for it then they should get something in return for being generous." At first I laughed as I considered my skills so little and pretty much useless to the parish. What can I do for my parish when I have so little to give? I thought. Well, I was wrong. I had one invaluable thing. Time.

"What about helping out the Religious Ed. classes on Tuesdays?" Fr. Justin asks. (called CCD classes for short; Catholic Catechism... something. I haven't figured out what 'D' stands for... lol)

My reaction could pretty much be summed up by my next utterance: "Uh...."

So off I went to the CCD classes. At first I was worried I'd get some 'smart-alec' class and I'd be told off for treating them like little kids on my nerves, like my siblings treated me. Then I heard from the CCD coordinator that I'd be with the little kids since they were big classes this year.

Back to my original question, the one I had floating in the back of my mind all summer long while I waited for school to start; "How much guts does it take to stand or sit in front of a class of little kids?"

When I found out which class I was helping with I was glad to find I knew the teacher of the class. A youngish woman that had, just this past Easter, entered the Catholic Church. Encouraged, I finally walked into the class room one Tuesday afternoon to find about sixteen big/little eyes staring up at me from small desks. "Oh boy," I though. "This is going to be interesting."

You see, being seventeen, I'm not particularly suave and graceful with my actions or words. Stumbling around furniture and fumbling with my vocabulary is my daily routine and exercise! Plus, I walked in sweaty because I'm the school crossing guard. I must have looked weird to the kids... Anyway, when I saw those kids looking at me, my stomach turned up-side-down.

As I've seen the kids a few times now, I have gotten a better feel for how I'm supposed to act. Like a grownup! Totally weird...

Blessings to all.

In Christ,
Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment